Our Furbaby

My husband and I debated for years if we should adopt a pup or not. I grew up with dogs pretty much my entire life, and have always loved them, but it took me a while to be ready  to open my heart again to another pup. My childhood pup Dakota was one of the best dogs
I've ever met! My parent's got him as a puppy when was I was 8 years old, and I remember being over the moon that day we brought him home! We had a special connection, and when we lost him, it was one of the worst days of my life. Because of it, I went through a little phase where I was adamant on never owning a dog. I didn't want to feel that heartache ever again. 


After months of begging from my husband, (who was actually still my fiance at the time!), I finally caved. We knew we wanted to adopt, so I immediately began researching different organizations and shelters. Friend's of ours told us about this wonderful organization called Last Hope K9 Rescue where they had recently rescued their own pup from. I checked out their website and also looked through their Facebook page, and that's when I found him. This sweet boy named Gage, had recently traveled to the Boston area from Arkansas, and was being fostered by a woman about 40 minutes from our old house. When I looked at his picture, I knew he was meant to be ours! I could see in his eyes, that all he wanted was love, and we had so much love to give him! From that moment, we did everything we needed to do to be eligible to be his forever home. When we started the process, we were told not to get our hopes up because there was a possibility that they could reject our application, and choose another family for him. We were also told that we might find that he wouldn't be a good fit once we did finally meet him. But I knew that wasn't going to be the case. I cant explain how, but I just knew that we were meant to be in each other's lives, and all it took was one look at his picture. 

After what felt like forever, the day finally came when our boy would meet us for the first time! His foster grew very attached to him and took care of him as if he were hers. When she pulled up in front of our house, we could tell by the way she looked at him that she was going to miss him dearly. She mentioned that we could take some time if we wanted, that we didn't have to take him right then and there, but the moment we met him, our minds were made up. He was indeed meant to be ours, just like we thought!. 

Fast forward to just about 4 years later, and we couldn't be more in love with our furbaby. He's spoiled, gained a good amount of weight after being very skinny (some he probably doesn't need but who am I to judge! 🎔), and best of all, hes happy. We now have a new house for him with a nice big back yard which he LOVES especially when it's sunny. He also became a big brother and he takes on that role like a champ! He never has to worry about when he'll get to eat again, He gets all the toys he could ever dream of, free reign of the furniture (when we don't have guests) and most importantly, a forever home with a family who will never abandon him. 

Thank you to the shelter in Arkansas that didn't allow him to reach the top of that euthanization list, like so many black, heart-worm positive pups before him. Thank you to LHK9 for saving his life, and giving him the second chance that he deserved. Thank you to both of his fosters who showered him with love and demonstrated what it was like to be part of a loving family. We are forever grateful for each and everyone of you, that brought us our sweet boy 🎔.



**If you are planning to bring a dog or any animal into your life, please remember all the ones who were surrendered to shelters. Many of these animals are potentially in danger of losing their lives, because there are not enough kennels to accommodate them. Think of all the furbaby's that fosters take into their homes to rehabilitate and find forever homes. All these babies want, is for someone to love them and treat them right. Adopt, don't shop.**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling all Mom's of Picky Eaters!

Sometimes Mom's Struggle, and That's OK.

Have You Heard??