Stop the Stigma

As I sit here in the middle of what seems like a forever episode of anxiety and depression, I feel compelled to write about it. I'm having a moment of clarity that may only last a few moments,  so I'll take advantage of it. 

I battle with anxiety and panic disorder as well as depression on an almost daily basis. For as long as I can remember, I have fought with my brain. If you suffer from a mental health illness, you may understand that statement all too well. If you don't suffer from a mental health illness, (I envy you) but let me explain it for you. Every feeling I feel, every decision I have to make big or small, every conversation I have, every relationship I've had or try to create, every single thing I do, is critiqued. Not by my peers, not by my husband, or my family or my son, but by me. Some days are better than others. But when those days are not good, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with myself.

My mother always tells me ‘you are your own worst enemy’ and she’s right. You may think ‘well you do this to yourself’, I mean to a point that’s a relevant statement, but the fact is that it is not intentional. When the days are really bad, I have zero control. My thoughts and my emotions take over, and I can spiral so fast, that It will literally make me feel dizzy. It affects my life, my relationships, my self esteem, and my overall well being. I have certain 'triggers' that I know, and have learned to steer clear of them if possible, but a lot of times that is not possible. A lot of the time, my anxiety is triggered by normal every day experiences. Things that are unavoidable. 

Why am I sharing this? 

Recent events in our country brought up a lot of talk about mental health illnesses. People are plastering their thoughts and beliefs all over social media. I'm not here to discuss my opinions on that topic as a whole, but I'd like to discuss the parts that I found were most concerning. There are A LOT of people who strongly believe that mental health illnesses are not real illnesses. I read comments from people who spoke about it as if were a made up diagnosis, and that people who suffer are just looking for an excuse or attention. Let me tell you something, the LAST thing I want when I wake up in the morning, is to deal with my anxieties, and I sure as hell have no desire to use them to draw attention to myself. Living life as an anxious individual is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Maybe there are some people who do take advantage, but to say it's all of us, couldn't be farther from the truth. When it comes to the depression aspect of my diagnosis, to say that I am looking for attention when I feel as though I am literally being suffocated by whatever triggered the episode, is an extremely uneducated statement. That saying "walk a mile in my shoes before you judge" couldn't be more of a perfect of a response to that statement. Anxiety and depression are only a couple of the many many many Mental Health Illnesses that are 'out there'. Each illness comes with their own signs and symptoms, and also affects everyone differently. To group all of us and tell us we are all a certain way, or attention seekers, or looking for excuses, is extremely biased.

People truly believe that mental health illnesses are not an issue in this country, and this is most concerning to me. These stigmas need to end. We don't have enough resources in this country for people who suffer from mental health illnesses, and I truly believe these stigmas are to blame. I had a therapist tell me once that she was impressed by my openness with my anxiety and depression. I personally learned early on, that the best way for me to cope, was to talk. I learned this, because I was fortunate enough to have access to great mental health services as a kid. Unfortunately not everyone is that lucky. Another issue is  people are learning early on that it's not ok to discuss or express their feelings. This is the WORST thing that you can do for yourself,  each your child. Unfortunately people aren't educated enough to know when they are in fact dealing with a mental heath illness. Parents aren't able to recognize signs, because they are not given the proper resources themselves. Schools are not equipped with the proper staff to handle our children or their parents when they need support. We are seeing more and more children committing suicide and learning that they were failed by the system and this needs to stop! We are doing our world a great disservice by not making mental health services easily accessible. 

I am only one person. I cannot change the world. But maybe I can help others realize that it's ok to admit that you have a mental health illness. Maybe I can help others realize that people who have mental health illnesses are in fact dealing with a true illness and need support. Maybe you as the reader can help stop the stigma against mental health illnesses. Educate yourselves, your loved ones, your children. let them know that they aren't alone and if they need support, you are there. Be kind to one another, teach your children to be kind to their peers, whatever it takes! Our society needs to change.
Stand Up To Stigma


If you or anyone you know is feeling thoughts, or showing signs of suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:   1-800-273-8255
Remember, you ARE worth it.

To help educate yourself on how to stop the stigma, follow this link for great information and tips.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling all Mom's of Picky Eaters!

Sometimes Mom's Struggle, and That's OK.

Have You Heard??